Thursday, April 7, 2011

Social Media pt. 2: All In Moderation

After my latest post, it might seem like I've got a vendetta against social media. So it's time to set the record straight.

I love it.

Facebook, Skype, Twitter--I confess. I think it's all amazing. Facebook helps me keep in touch with friends in England, Australia, and Italy. Skype has led my mom, my sister, and me to some of the most ridiculous chat conversations ever. And Twitter is hilarious--check out Misha Collins and his rhino portions in plastic-lined envelopes (long story).

Then again, sometimes there's a glorification of trash. We know the content is terrible, but we just take it because it's there (and sometimes purely because it's terrible--poor Rebecca Black). We've learned to expect instant gratification, and maybe we've lost something along the way. But even though new technologies present risks of time-wasting and social alienation, I'm pretty sure the pros outweigh the cons.

Here's a halfway-relevent analogy: we've all heard of people who sue fast food joints for making them fat and unhealthy. In this case, an obese worker was actually awarded $17,500 in damages. The problem: as much as I hate the grease-soaked French fries and cholesterol-packed burgers at McDonalds, you are the only one responsible for what you consume. Recently, some states have been considering legislation to protect fast food companies; the proposed "Cheeseburger Bill" in Minnesota, for example, would "prohibit Minnesotans from suing for weight problems brought on by eating a company's food."

Fast food and social media. Admittedly, a messy analogy. But here's the point: the internet offers endless possibilities. Communication is easier than ever before. Information and entertainment is available at our fingertips. But so is an endless stream of detritus. Technology is here to stay, and if we choose to stuff ourselves full of virtual Big Macs and Supersized time-wasters, there's not much anyone can do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment